My Photo
Name:
Location: Jefferson City, Tennessee, United States

Published by: Hard Shell Word Factory (http://hardshell.com) and Awe-Struck E-Books (http://awe-struck.net)

Monday, February 05, 2007

Spring Is On the Way

Saturday afternoon was sunny but cold. When I looked out the window of my son's studio, I noticed that several of the buds on the clump of daffodils over by the spirea bush were more yellow than they were a few days before. I had to investigate. I brought five buds that were just about to pop into the house and put them into comfortably warm water, and they rewarded my efforts by popping open a few hours later.

Punxuatawny Phil didn't see his shadow on Groundhog Day, so everyone in that little town joyfully went on to their pancake breakfasts assured that they face only six more weeks of winter. I'd celebrate, too, knowing how hard Punxsy gets clobbered at times.

Then today, we ran out of bird seed. The jays and cardinals, redheaded woodpecker, chickadees, pigeons and a touring bluebird stood wing-tip to wing-tip to spell out "FEED US!" (Okay, so their formation was a little shaking and no one ever accused them of being great spellers.) We went to the dollar store and, lo and behold, the seeds were already up at the ends of the aisles. I grabbed four packets of flowers and when I showed husband, he told me to get some more. I brought home three packages of sunflower seeds so we won't run out of seeds next February! Then again, the birds will probably invite more relatives, knowing we're a soft touch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home