My Photo
Name:
Location: Jefferson City, Tennessee, United States

Published by: Hard Shell Word Factory (http://hardshell.com) and Awe-Struck E-Books (http://awe-struck.net)

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Thank you, Lady Bird

Today we travelled east and west on I-40 between Dandridge, TN and Asheville, NC. You know what an up-and-down spring we had. Following the warmer than usual winter,we had early spring, the freezes and finally a drought. The usual flower patches at the interchanges weren't spared the ravages of weather.

There were the occasional Black-Eyed Susans and day-lillies along the roads on previous, but I felt almost despondent at the poor showings on previous trips across I-40. But today as we proceeded east from the Waynesville Interchange (I think it was there -- travel muddles my mind), there was a long sweep of wonderful purple and white flowers, some red and pink, some yellows, and mixed together in drifts and splotches.

I smiled and thought: "Thank you, Lady Bird!" Texas wasn't the only state to profit from her encouragement of wild flowers -- all the states and all the travellers have been blessed by her tireless work.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lavinia said...

Travelling the USA in a tractor-trailer in 1995-96 gave a glimpse of the impact of Lady Bird's wildflower program. It was a blessing, indeed. I always wanted to write her and thank her, but didn't know where to send a letter. Now she is gone, but I'll still thank her in my heart when I see the flowers. Lavinia-TN

3:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home