My Photo
Name:
Location: Jefferson City, Tennessee, United States

Published by: Hard Shell Word Factory (http://hardshell.com) and Awe-Struck E-Books (http://awe-struck.net)

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Things Are Looking Up

Since we had a late killing frost, I've been depressed. The garden has suffered not only from the frost, but from my bout with shingles last summer, and before that, a car ended up upside down in our yard, clipping a power pole and occasioning the frying of some of my favorite plants the fall before that.

But as of today, there is much more hope. We actually have a couple of our favorite irises blooming, and the phlox that I planted just to use up a packet of seeds last year have taken over a hitherto dull corner of the garden. For Mother's day I've gotten two hydrangeas -- a blue one and a pink "flying saucer" one. They seem to like where we planted them.

but what restores my faith that my efforts of planting annuals, biennials, perennials, shrubs and herbs is that we discovered new shoots on two of our rose bushes today -- on the climbing Queen Elizabeth and the climbing Peace. Maybe the other will survive, too, with some tender, loving care.

3 Comments:

Blogger mascanlon said...

Isn't Spring just the best time of year! In So Cal I don't worry about frosts so much although we had 2 nights very close this winter. My hydrangeas are covered in "buds" and any day now the whole front of my house will be awash in pink and blue. I can hardly wait!

9:33 AM  
Blogger Lavinia said...

How long do the phlox last? We cleared the ditchbank of weeds. Last year we had marigolds but they aren't up yet. Have more seeds..just waiting. It finally rained, hooray! Hugs. Lavinia

4:23 AM  
Blogger spacer said...

In Oregon the lilacs, azaleas, and rhodies are in bloom. I just wish everything else was pruned back so I could enjoy them.

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home