My Photo
Name:
Location: Jefferson City, Tennessee, United States

Published by: Hard Shell Word Factory (http://hardshell.com) and Awe-Struck E-Books (http://awe-struck.net)

Friday, April 20, 2007

An Embarrassment of Riches

My daughter has friends who are having triplets within the next month or so. Since I love to quilt, she has asked me to make three coordinating quilts for the boys -- yes, three boys. ( I don't even want to think about it, but Lanette on Desperate Housewives comes to mind.)

The pattern decided on is Snail Trail -- it's easy and allows for some neat creativity. I've decided on "guy" colors, greens through blues, and the concept has evolved into stylized landscapes.

I ordered some fabric I'd seen at a quilt show. It's pricey, hand-dyed fabric and I was happy to order it. But it took a long time coming, so -- compulsive worrier that I am -- I decided I had better go to the local quilt shop and get some batiks to make the quilts with, just in case. After all, babies come on their own schedule, even with the help needed for triplets! (Three! Boggles the mind.)

Then yesterday, the hand-dyes arrived! I didn't open the box. Do you REALIZE what strength of character that took? I was prepared to send them back, apologize for being such a problem to the vendor, and at least pay for their shipping. But Husband said I should keep them, bless his soul. And I agreed. I'd started cutting the batiks last night and realized that even though I had calculated enough surface to make the quilts, I might not have enough when one allows for necessary waste -- and operator error.

Quilting isn't for sissies!

1 Comments:

Blogger mascanlon said...

Oh Fribble, I loved you story, such a true quilters dilemma for sure. So I went and signed up for a google account just to to comment now and again to your blog! You've been an inspiration this wintr for sure with all the UFOs and baby quilts. You deserve the title!

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home