My Photo
Name:
Location: Jefferson City, Tennessee, United States

Published by: Hard Shell Word Factory (http://hardshell.com) and Awe-Struck E-Books (http://awe-struck.net)

Thursday, September 06, 2007

One of the great treats I had when I was a kid was soda pop. There was a bottler in my hometown -- Oil City, PA -- named Gowdy's. Once in a while, my father would get a case of soda pop -- 24 glass bottles in a rough wooden case, all which would be returned for deposit (a concept long lost, to society's detriment) . Father always insisted on an assortment of sodas -- Cola, of course, grape, root beer, ginger ale, orange and my favorite, the very rare birch beer. Sometimes where would be a substitutions -- soda that was red or green or yellow.

We never took the last of any one flavor without asking permission. And if the last one was cream soda, I suddenly wasn't all that thirsty.

But Gowdy's set the benchmark against which I have judged all other sodas in my life. Now we get soda from a cut-rate grocery store, twelve flimsy aluminum cans, all the same flavor, no exotic choices except diet or "high test." My favorite now is root beer. It compares favorably with Gowdy's -- good color, good flavor, nice froth when poured over ice. It wins my seal of approval.

1 Comments:

Blogger jeff said...

While hard to find, Henry Weinhardt's Root Beer is outstanding. It comes in bottles, and is from the same brewery that manufactures traditional beer under the same name.

jeff

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home