My Photo
Name:
Location: Jefferson City, Tennessee, United States

Published by: Hard Shell Word Factory (http://hardshell.com) and Awe-Struck E-Books (http://awe-struck.net)

Thursday, March 01, 2007

I Answered the Phone Last Night

I'll be the first to say I don't like people who call on the phone wanting my money. But last night I kept one on the phone for quite a while before saying I'm not contributing anything to the cause. And this is an outfit I go back a long way with -- the college I went to.

A rep of Edinboro University of PA was on the phone -- a young lady who is a student at the college, not a paid fund-raiser. "I notice you're a romance writer," she said a few minutes into the conversation. "I'm an English major myself, working on poetry. By the way, did you write a book called DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH?"

I confessed that I had.

"My mother's a librarian," she said. "She read it and just loved it -- said I should read it."

I told her a few anecdotes about my writing history. I think she was genuinely impressed.

It takes a will of steel to turn down a pitch from someone like that -- but I had to remind her why she called me. I told her I couldn't afford to give anything this year. But I do plan to take a collection of my works to the college library next time I go "home." Maybe they'll be worth more than the few bucks I might have sent.

1 Comments:

Blogger Betty said...

What gets me more is when a university calls looking for money and they do it when your child is still going to the university. Don't they realize if I had extra money I would give it to my child directly.

Others for that matter who call looking for money and I tell them my husband is disabled and we have limited income. They just don't understand or care. I know they are just doing their job.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home