My Photo
Name:
Location: Jefferson City, Tennessee, United States

Published by: Hard Shell Word Factory (http://hardshell.com) and Awe-Struck E-Books (http://awe-struck.net)

Thursday, October 20, 2005

What I Have To Look Forward To

This afternoon I had to take a quick trip to look in on a friend, a little younger than I am, who is in the first stages of Alzheimers. It has been difficult to find the right medication for her, but now it looks like she's on the right one.

I thought I had a hard time finding a doctor when I went on Medicare, etc., but finding a geratologist/psychiatrist (excuse creative spelling, please) must be a hurdle.

She lives in public housing -- a rather nice small apartment. It doesn't smell bad, the neighborhood is pleasant and I have met some of her neighbors who seem all right. But I wonder if I'll be able to cope if I ever have to live in a place like that.

In the Fifties, when my grandmother was living on her own and we visited almost ever week, I cringed at the types of apartments she lived in. I've rarely seen anything that bad since. But the way things are going for older people these days gives one pause. Things aren't getting any better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home