My Photo
Name:
Location: Jefferson City, Tennessee, United States

Published by: Hard Shell Word Factory (http://hardshell.com) and Awe-Struck E-Books (http://awe-struck.net)

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Pulling a Ken

Husband says I "pulled a Ken" on him yesterday. He has a habit of doing something he thinks is important and I think is inconsequential -- and then I spend the rest of the day making allowances to accommodate the change.

Now, what triggered the whole thing was that about two weeks ago, I recommended that we get new drapes for the living room and the master bedroom. That meant we had four panels of drapes we could use somewhere else. (Tossing usable things out is not generally in the scheme of things here.)

I made a casual suggestion that the panels could be well used in Son's "studio" -- the room where his computer is. (It's a glorified hallway between the furnace area and the back of the house.) That kept him busy for a few minutes. when I went to look at the results, I realized that there was going to be too much glare on the computer screen, a fact which Son verified. So I suggested window shades, while they thought that venetian blinds would be enough.

By then we'd had lunch (we never do anything in a hurry) and Husband took me to Big Lots. there were no window shades but we got a good deal on venetians. And I got a month's supply of fancy tea, so it wasn't totally disappointing.

At home again, Son assisted Husband in putting up the blinds, something they had not hitherto done jointly before. Yep, it took three times the amount of time it would take for one person to do. Husband was just about finishing up when there was a knock at the back door.

A neighbor came to ask where we wanted him to plough our garden. Hoping to get out from under the strain of supervising what had become a daylong chore, I took the opportunity to get some fresh air and direct him to the place where the chicken house used to be.

Husband, finished with his work for the day, laughed and said I'd turned the tables on him. He is the one who usually decides it's a good day to do something and I'm the one who has to take over the problems that crop up along the way.

(Someday I'll tell you how it took my mother six months to get the dining room painted.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home