My Photo
Name:
Location: Jefferson City, Tennessee, United States

Published by: Hard Shell Word Factory (http://hardshell.com) and Awe-Struck E-Books (http://awe-struck.net)

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Glimpse Into the Future

Today I went with a friend to celebrate her mother's 99th birthday in a nursing home. It wasn't a unique experience. I have visited many similar places over the years, so nice, some not. This place was very nice -- for being a nursing home.

The help was friendly and attentive. The accommodations were nice, clean and cheerful. There were no awful smells. The patients seemed to be well cared for.

But I never want to have to live in a place like that. I have to face the fact that I don't really want to get old. I don't want to lose my teeth and hair and hearing and eyesight.

Then again, I don't suppose any of us really look forward to the birthdays beyond where we are now. I've got more gardens to plant, more books to write, maybe even a few more quilts in me.

None of us is guaranteed tomorrow -- but darn it, I'm going to work darn hard at keeping on keeping on. I don't really think much of the alternative.

1 Comments:

Blogger mascanlon said...

Just this AM I got that little glimpse when the clerk at the coffeehouse called me Ma'm in a very deferent tone. Instead of being pleased, I was bummed cause my self image is about 32yr old instead of the 58 yr old reality!

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home