My Photo
Name:
Location: Jefferson City, Tennessee, United States

Published by: Hard Shell Word Factory (http://hardshell.com) and Awe-Struck E-Books (http://awe-struck.net)

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Off-road Thoughts

We haven't been traveling much. Oh, we went to Asheville for our daughter's wedding a week ago Saturday, but even then we remarked that there doesn't seem to be as much traffic as in the past. I guess the oil crunch is having an effect in East Tennessee. We're seeing about a third less traffic past the house, and when we are out and about, fewer cars and trucks pass us. We live close to I-40 which is usually jam-packed with semis and pickups this time of year, there too -- traffic is down.

I was born in Oil City, Pa., and raised in Titusville -- famous for being the birthplace of the oil industry. The refineries are long gone and the area is depressed -- and depressing, but not as back at the coal fields I've seen in my travels -- so it's all relative.

Personally, I'm planning one last trip up to my old stomping grounds for my class reunion in August, then I plan to stay close to home -- no air flights, long trips, jaunts which involve less than two reasons to fire up the car. I'll let someone else run up the price of gas. I've got enough to do around here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home