My Photo
Name:
Location: Jefferson City, Tennessee, United States

Published by: Hard Shell Word Factory (http://hardshell.com) and Awe-Struck E-Books (http://awe-struck.net)

Sunday, September 26, 2010

If Living Were Easy, Anybody Could Do It

I never thought I'd hear the words "Stage 3 Colon Cancer." Wish I never had.

The surgery was drastic, and I lost an instant ten pounds, and two days of knowing what was going on around me. I'm told people visited me, and I responded, but that is all in a black hole.

Then there were other things that had to be done -- the worst for me, a chemo port being put into my shoulder.

After studying the situation, being given the cold information from various sources, I'm viewing chemo (and radiation) with skepticism.

I'm a writer with at least four projects in various states of delay while I went through the wierd inability to concentrate which was probably a symptom of the growing seriousness of my condition. I don't want a rigorous, debilitating course of treatment that will disable me for what useful (writing) life I have remaining. (I turn 70 next month.)

I'm trying to be upbeat. It comes out in off-beat, rapid-fire gallows humor -- some of the best of it directed at my surgeon -- but at least he laughs. I'm not so sure it's going to get me through, but it might well be more effective than the chemo and the radiation.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Jane, keep on thinking positive and praying. I will be praying for you. I've lost your e-mail but would like to hear from you.
Margie/ARK

2:14 PM  
Blogger Marge Gordon said...

First, you are in my prayers. I know you are making a hard decision.

Second, take it or leave it. If you need someone to talk to, some one else to answer questions or just to talk to, call 1-800-ACS-2345 They are there 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, trained volunteers to help people who need it. If the person on the line can't answer your question or answer your clearly, ask to speak to another volunteer. In the middle of the night when you can't sleep and need someone to talk to who understands, call.
Hugs
Marge

3:35 PM  
Blogger songbird said...

Wow! You have been facing adversity head on. It's hard to believe so much time has passed. Good luck w. all those projects...I know what you mean about having a bunch of balls to juggle all at once. Keep plugging away!

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home