My Photo
Name:
Location: Jefferson City, Tennessee, United States

Published by: Hard Shell Word Factory (http://hardshell.com) and Awe-Struck E-Books (http://awe-struck.net)

Monday, June 30, 2008

How the Garden Grows

Don't you just love home grown lettuce? It reminds me of the Victory Gardens we had when I was little. Store-bought white bread, half a dozen leaves of Black Seed Simpson, a single slice of big juicy tomato that may even hang over the side of the bread, slathered with Miracle Whip --my idea of Lunch Heaven!

Well, I've broken out of my comfort zone gardening this year. I'm trying lettuce mixes -- something that tastes a little like water cress, another that looks innocent but wakes up the mouth. I've got herbs and more herbs. I've got last year's plants and this year's plants -- and the new craze grape tomatoes. They are in the flowering stage. We'll have to wait and see.

And weeds -- plenty of weeds.

We have four rain barrels. There is one that has a resident salamander. We wouldn't have so many salamanders if Husband didn't make little houses for them. I guess they like to eat bugs, god bless 'em.

Anyway, we have our first ripe tomato on one of our bushes. I sure hope something doesn't come along to take a bite out of it before I get to it! That just wouldn't be fair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home