My Photo
Name:
Location: Jefferson City, Tennessee, United States

Published by: Hard Shell Word Factory (http://hardshell.com) and Awe-Struck E-Books (http://awe-struck.net)

Saturday, October 16, 2010

It Hurts to Laugh

I'm learning to cope with the results of my abdominal surgery, but it's been over two months and, with various developments along the way, I've had setbacks.  I promise not to go into too many details -- I don't want to gross you out anymore than I want to gross myself out.

But a few days ago, I saw the doctor in charge of radiation -- a charming man from Long Island, and thankfully somewhat mature.  Well, during the session to set up the X-ray machine and my position thereunder for precisely targeting the area to be radiated, the doctor instructed me to raise  my legs straight up and bring them back down on a pad that would become a form to insure my position will be the same during each treatment.

Well, I did something stupid.  Which is not unusual for me -- and I'm still paying for it.  I locked my knees and ankles and lifted both legs at the same time -- even pointed my toes -- in what synchronized swimmers call a "double ballet leg." 

The doctor and the technician were drop-jawed!  I used to do this as a standard part of my conditioning until a few years ago. But I'll be 70 in about two weeks.  I should have known better.  I have muscles protesting that had nothing to do with post-op.

I think I'll finally have to start acting my age.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home