My Photo
Name:
Location: Jefferson City, Tennessee, United States

Published by: Hard Shell Word Factory (http://hardshell.com) and Awe-Struck E-Books (http://awe-struck.net)

Thursday, November 18, 2004

Troubling Thoughts

I get most if not all my news from the broadcast media. NPR, PBS, the networks and news shows are my sources both of news and anxiety. Two programs this week have bothered me.

I didn't see the program that dealt with WalMart sending encouraging suppliers to send jobs to China (okay, so that is an oversimpliciation), but before I'd totally worked that angst out of my system, I watched West Wing and am even more upset today.

I was raised in the northwestern corner of Pennsylvania, in the town where the first oil well was drilled in 1859. Last night's West Wing emphasized that at current rates of use in twenty years -- about 2025 -- the world's supply of petroleum will be gone! In less than 200 years since Drake's Well came in!

What does one have to do with the other? The American jobs going to Asia, to the point where a great many people no longer have jobs to buy items they need for adequate standards of living, and petroleum products disappearing -- well, I come back to one word that has constantly given me clues to whys of this world.

Greed.

The people at the top want more and more material possessions and wealth for themselves, and to feather their nests, they use more and more of hte world's non-renewable resources for themselves. They don't care about others. They are living for today, shortsighted, ignoring the long view of not only our society but all the world beyond..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home