My Photo
Name:
Location: Jefferson City, Tennessee, United States

Published by: Hard Shell Word Factory (http://hardshell.com) and Awe-Struck E-Books (http://awe-struck.net)

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Hair Today, Gone to Someone!

About thirty years ago, my mother died of brain cancer. Her recently permed white hair had to be shaved off for surgery, and every time is started to grow back, she had another round of chemo and it fell out. When she died, there was a thought to have the wig she'd been given by a friend put on her, but we opted for a white pique scarf she liked to wear. It was fitting for her to have a hat on -- she was always ready to go somewhere.

Well, Sunday morning one of the cute little girls who go to our church showed up with her hair recently cut very short -- it had been down past her waist -- and when I heard that she had of her own volition donated her hair to Locks of Love, I decided that I would do the same.

Today Husband took me to the shop that does cuts for Locks of Love and I had my hair cut. It qualified, it hadn't been cut in four years, and it reached below my waist.

Mum, I wish someone had been able to do that for you. As it is, I said a prayer that the person who gets my hair finds comfort.

2 Comments:

Blogger mascanlon said...

Jane what a lovely thing to do. My Mom died of lung cancer 25 yrs ago. She never had chemo, treated with radiation and surgery but she was always so thankful and touched by the kindness of others as she went through her 7 yr battle. I send anonymous daffodil bouquets to hosptial patients every year in her memory.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Bobbie Bentneedle said...

Fribble,
I'd be interested to know if you have a contact for this group. The one I read about on-line said that they wouldn't take hair that was more than 15% grey - and mine's been more grey than that since I was in my 20's (that was a LONG time ago, and getting longer every day!)

I kept thinking about all the grey-haired ladies that need wigs, too!

Hugs
BBN

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home