My Photo
Name:
Location: Jefferson City, Tennessee, United States

Published by: Hard Shell Word Factory (http://hardshell.com) and Awe-Struck E-Books (http://awe-struck.net)

Friday, September 29, 2006

Leeper's 3, Wal-Mart 1 -- and losing

I must confess to be in a grouchy patch. It's worse than just a mood. A mood disappears when you get yourself a bowl of ice cream. I'm turning into an Andy Rooney grump-alike.

Don't get me started on Wal-Mart! Okay, I did it to myself, so I'm going to explain. Here in Jefferson City, TN, we have one of those Wal-Marts that moved in and drew a lot of business away from the locals. There are empty storefronts and places that used to be something else everywhere.

The last two months or so, we've been suffering through a remodel. The store was supposed to get better. It didn't! The aisles are wider, because they cut out the things they didn't sell a lot of. One department that used to sustain the store in bad times -- the crafts, fabrics and housewares -- was drastically cut, after spending a sojourn in a text out back. So much has been moved, the shopper is disoriented.

Monday, we went to get a few things, only one of which we found, and that after walking from one end to the other. Just as I was about to tell my husband how disappointed I was with the shopping trip, another woman trudged by grumbling, "I hate this store! I can't find anything!" We nodded to her in silent agreement.

Luckily there is one store where we can get many things we need that didn't go out of business when Wal-Mart moved in, even though the original Jefferson City Wal-Mart was practically across the street from them. Wal-Mart moved, they didn't. The upgraded and spread out a bit, but when you go in, they don't just say "hello," they joke around with you. The clerks know you by name, or at least know your face. They go with you and go through the stock to find what you need.

We went to Wal-Mart once this week -- We've been to Leeper's Hardware three times in four days. They know we'll be back. Wal-Mart doesn't seem to care...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home