My Photo
Name:
Location: Jefferson City, Tennessee, United States

Published by: Hard Shell Word Factory (http://hardshell.com) and Awe-Struck E-Books (http://awe-struck.net)

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Knowing My Own Strength

It has been so hot and dry here in Tennessee that I've gotten tired of hauling water from the rain barrels to the tomatoes and lettuce and herbs. It sometimes takes three watering cans full, twice a day to keep things green. Yesterday, I'd had enough!

There were weather reports on the radio saying that there might be rain in the afternoon or evening, but the rains had been skipping our county -- when we need it so badly. So at noon I did a rain dance. Not my usual one -- but an extended one. Then I did some errands with Son --his car has good AC, but still -- it wasn't what I'd call comfortable. The skies were clear to wispy contrail-type clouds. It didn't look like rain.

After dinner, Husband and I had to go take some things to a friend -- and as we headed west, the sky had that changing look. When we got home, the wind had picked up and up! Just as the rain was starting, we heard a crack and thump.

A limb on the walnut tree near our porch had split, but not fallen free, the leaves at the end of its branches just grazing the porch roof.

Son gave me a high-five said: "You've done it again!"

I don't know if I'll ever do that dance again. These powers are better left unused. But it's good to know that I've still got 'em.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home